Hello-Operator

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hello-Operator

order.forumotion.net

Latest topics

» Is Level still alive?
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 8:50 am by Rahvin

» We are all stuck at home.
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptyMon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 pm by Ptero

» Goodbye and goodnight, Hello-Operator.
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptySat Dec 28, 2019 2:00 pm by Aktve

» Polly Y76b
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptyFri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am by Alex

» grand redesign
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptyFri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 am by Alex

» hello everybody
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 am by Alex

» You alive?
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 12:47 am by Alex

» What Choo Lisnin Too III: The Revenge of the Sith
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 3:42 pm by Alex

» AND THEN THERE WAS ONE
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:46 pm by Kyle

Top posting users this month

No user

Poll

What makes you wanna visit order.forum-phpbb.co.uk?
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_lcap29%Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_rcap 29% [ 2 ]
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_lcap14%Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_rcap 14% [ 1 ]
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_lcap14%Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_rcap 14% [ 1 ]
Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_lcap0%Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

May 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Live Text Adventure Night 9

Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 am by Alex

Occurrence: Saturday, June 1st

Any volunteers for hosting?

4 posters

Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

Alex
    Alex
    Master of Ceremonies

Male Posts : 6237

Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes Empty Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

Post by Alex Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:38 am

So, Thom Yorke just dropped a surprise solo album, which, interestingly, is only available on vinyl and via a $6 BitTorrent bundle, an interesting choice which will likely, as intended, make way for smaller artists to make money off of their music at a much cheaper cost.

The first thing I've noticed is that there is a certain yin and yang to this record; in my opinion, "Interference" is the most bleak song that he's written in 14 years, yet, other parts of this album seem almost whimsical. This occurs specifically in the song titles "Truth Ray" and "Pink Section"--which I am convinced is a nod to the vagina--and also there is "Guess Again!", which offers up dark situations and then, in a tone that seemingly suggests that Thom is winking at the listener, says "Guess again!"

Musically, what stands out the most in this record is undoubtedly the percussion. It's fucking cool. Throughout the record, it stumbles in and out, at times manifesting in subtle flurries, and at other times hitting you with the full force of a blizzard. Past the percussion, the album is very cold and at times atmospheric. It's filled with drowned pianos and spacey synths and garbled vocal twitches that coalesce into a very polished whole. The song transitions are (save the transition from "Truth Ray" to "There Is No Ice (For My Drink)," which definitely gets fumbled a bit) incredibly smooth and well done--arguably Thom and Nigel's best since Kid A, which flowed perfectly from track to track. The album proves to be a more focused, direct, and well thought out experience than Amok, which Yorke released last year with his side-project Atoms For Peace. Comparisons to The Eraser can be made superficially, but the depth of these comparisons comes into question with tracks like "A Brain In A Bottle," which bear little similarity to its predecessor.

I'd like to touch on the lyrical content now. Though I am still making out words and phrases, what I have noticed is that lyrically the album rather notably different from Thom's past work--except for perhaps The Eraser, which also stood out for this reason. It's fairly quirkier in it's imagery, and is more personal in tone. Unlike the anthemic songs of his past like "Exit Music (For A Film)" where "we" or an unspecific "you" are the pronouns, or impersonal, subject-less songs like "The National Anthem," it feels like Thom is actually addressing someone, although it is unclear who.

Also notable is the cover, which is reminiscent of posters for old sci-fi movies, especially in the do-it-yourself typography which bears the name of its creator and the project's title. Make of this what you want, but I see it fitting, as the record itself bears a certain retro-futurism in its juxtaposition of drowned, old-world pianos with heavy bass and intense, electronic drums.

Overall, I think this is a very good record, and I would recommend it strongly if it's the type of thing you're into.

TLDR; Tomorrow's Modern Boxes is a double rainbow made up of the tears of a thousand sunsets.
    Aktve
    Aktve
    Gentleman

Male Posts : 797

Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes Empty Re: Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

Post by Aktve Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Thom Yorke is overrated as fuck.
    Alex
    Alex
    Master of Ceremonies

Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes Empty Re: Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

Post by Alex Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:26 am

Aktve wrote:Thom Yorke is overrated as fuck.

that's what your mom said when i was doing her last night

#rekt
    Aktve
    Aktve
    Gentleman

Post by Aktve Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:46 am

Tateos wrote:that's what your mom said when i was doing her last night

#rekt

That doesn't even make sense
    Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes 1880300092
    Gnome Child
    Gnome Child
    Rotary Dial

Male Posts : 3426

Post by Gnome Child Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:04 am

Aktve wrote:That doesn't even make sense

*You're
    Alex
    Alex
    Master of Ceremonies

Post by Alex Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Gnome Child wrote:
    Aktve wrote:That doesn't even make sense

*You're

Should rename this thread "Aktve gets ethered 2014"
    Aktve
    Aktve
    Gentleman

Post by Aktve Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:48 am

Thom Yorke's new album Tomorrow's Modern Boxes 2442039969
    Gnome Child
    Gnome Child
    Rotary Dial

Male Posts : 3426

Post by Gnome Child Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:59 am

I've heard Interference, it's hella good
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Rogue

Female Posts : 426

Post by Jazz Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:24 am

I wish I had $6 so I could listen to this stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:42 pm