Hello-Operator

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hello-Operator

order.forumotion.net

Latest topics

» Is Level still alive?
The future EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 8:50 am by Rahvin

» We are all stuck at home.
The future EmptyMon Apr 06, 2020 10:47 pm by Ptero

» Goodbye and goodnight, Hello-Operator.
The future EmptySat Dec 28, 2019 2:00 pm by Aktve

» Polly Y76b
The future EmptyFri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am by Alex

» grand redesign
The future EmptyFri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 am by Alex

» hello everybody
The future EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 am by Alex

» You alive?
The future EmptySat Dec 02, 2017 12:47 am by Alex

» What Choo Lisnin Too III: The Revenge of the Sith
The future EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 3:42 pm by Alex

» AND THEN THERE WAS ONE
The future EmptyFri Oct 30, 2015 11:46 pm by Kyle

Top posting users this month

No user

Poll

What makes you wanna visit order.forum-phpbb.co.uk?
The future I_vote_lcap29%The future I_vote_rcap 29% [ 2 ]
The future I_vote_lcap14%The future I_vote_rcap 14% [ 1 ]
The future I_vote_lcap0%The future I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 7

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Live Text Adventure Night 9

Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 am by Alex

Occurrence: Saturday, June 1st

Any volunteers for hosting?

+3
Ptero
LevelAktveIsRahvin
Alex
7 posters

The future

Alex
    Alex
    Master of Ceremonies

Male Posts : 6237

The future Empty The future

Post by Alex Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:55 pm

In a couple months or so, I believe that a good number of us [myself, Ptero, Sir (?)], are graduating from high school and possibly going off to college. Even though that's just three of us, it's plausible that there could be big changes in the lives of our adults (Rahv, Hectic, Nair, AJ) as well.

So, what's going on with you guys? What are you doing in this next year?

I'm probably going to take a gap year to take individual classes at Brown and/or RISD to figure out what I'm going to do with my life.

I've been taking a graphic design class at my high school that is being taught by a professional fashion photographer, and he's been pretty impressed with my work. I can say for sure that what I've put out is significantly better than the half-assed stuff I've done for HO, so lately I've been thinking about maybe going to college for graphic design. It's kind of weird for me, though, because I've never really thought of it as a career.

As for my girlfriend and I, we've been talking about trying to do long distance because she's going to a college that's really far away and we don't want to break up.
    LevelAktveIsRahvin
    LevelAktveIsRahvin
    Operator

Male Posts : 1066

The future Empty Re: The future

Post by LevelAktveIsRahvin Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm completing my GED courses which will allow me to obtain a normal highschool diploma through the state of Maryland, so that's nice.
    Ptero
    Ptero
    Aerodactyl Mouse

Post by Ptero Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:13 pm

Going to Ohio State University for Electrical/Computer Engineering yo.
    Rahvin
    Rahvin
    Uncle Rahvin

Post by Rahvin Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:46 pm

Level, I'm glad to hear you're still enrolled in those GED classes :) Having some paper will help at some point in your life. 

Ptero, I wouldn't say that sounds fun but it sounds manageable given your experience with computers and knack for picking up on things :) 

Tat, long distance relationships are hard, but I was in one for about 2 and a half years and it worked alright with us until I realized I just didn't want to be in any relationship with her anymore, but the distance isn't to blame for that. I'm glad you and your gf aren't breaking up, that would be a sad and untimely end to such a good thing.

You guys are all going to school, its very exciting!

I am done with Taco Bell. Now, that doesn't mean I've quit my job or got fired, I still have my job at Taco Bell.. I'm just emotionally disconnecting myself from the place. You know, like how I emotionally invest myself in everything I do...I was going to work with so much emotional baggage from other days at work, I basically have a hair-trigger on my "I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask you to leave or I'm going to call security." kickin people out right and left(not as much as it sounds, but a great deal more than I used to).

My wife is also emotionally disconnecting herself from her Taco Bell.. we want to move up in the world, I'm a year and a month away from being 30 and I've got jack and shit to show for it financially.

So, that's where I am. I want to move up somewhere somehow, or start a career of sorts. This is hella not my career. Some ideas I've been tossing around:

Waiter - a friendly guy like me is sure to rake in the tips
    Flight Attendant - Salary starts at 16k, caps out around 75k right now
    Finish school - I've only got like 2 classes to take, I should just graduate already, but graduate with what degree? And where do I want to go from there?

I am approaching a crossroad. I'm excited to be done with this stretch, its been fun, but its time for new roads.
    Gnome Child
    Gnome Child
    Rotary Dial

Male Posts : 3426

Post by Gnome Child Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:50 pm

I'm having a few problems with getting photo ID but once that shit is sorted I'm looking for a job that's easy to get like stocking shelves or being a waiter or something idk.
    Alex
    Alex
    Master of Ceremonies

Post by Alex Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Rahv, it's great that you're looking forward. I get the feeling that you would be a reaaaaaaaaally good flight attendant.

If you went back to school, what kind of stuff do you think you would be interested in pursuing?

Last edited by Tateos on Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ptero
    Ptero
    Aerodactyl Mouse

Post by Ptero Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:08 pm

i think waiter is the best option for ya. hell, move up the chain and get a manager position in due time. flight attendant seems cool until you realize you spend 80% of your time in a cramped airplane around a bunch of potentially sick/mean/gross people and the other 20% in fuckin airports ew gross.
    LevelAktveIsRahvin
    LevelAktveIsRahvin
    Operator

Post by LevelAktveIsRahvin Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 pm

if you go back to school you should get into the medical coding field. that shit pays decent money (probably more than taco bell at the moment, at least), and people are always looking for anything in the medical field
    Alex
    Alex
    Master of Ceremonies

Post by Alex Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:27 pm

if you're solely looking for money and you aren't bad at math, software design pays reaaaaaaally well.
    Rahvin
    Rahvin
    Uncle Rahvin

Post by Rahvin Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:14 am

Flight Attendant would be alright, and if I could pass random pee tests by stopping my smoking weed again, I think I would enjoy it. Ptero is right though, I would be around a bunch of people who either

A) Just spent a shit ton of money they don't have to spend, and are cranky, and hate everyone.
    B) Just spent a shit ton of money they didn't even notice because they expect me to give them rimjobs
    C) Have been traveling for weeks, had their bags lost, their flight was delayed, and they have herpes and hate me because of it.
    D) Are terrorists
    E) Think I'm gay, as most people do irl, and are homo-aggro.
    F) many other things, but I'm tryna think positive :D

If I graduated from college I would want to... 
    and thats how far I get.

I wanted to be a psychiatrist or psychologist, but crazy people upset me for tl;dr reasons.. so I try to distance myself from the crazy people. Dat emotional devotion to a crazy person, doe.

Waiter would be great, but its not a career. I can't just work for tips, eventually I'll end up at Denny's working for 2.25 an hour plus whatever tips i get. The federal minimum wage may be 7.75 or w/e but waiters get screwed by tipping loopholes in 'murica.

Tat, my math skills are awful. Just terrible. I don't know how to weave a basket, but I bet I could weave a basket while riding a unicycle before completing any higher math classes... So, this is as far as I got in math and wanted to die.. Graphing trinomials as functions. So like f(x):6x^3+12y^2-3z = GRAPH THIS SHIT.. i got a C in that class because I was really really nice to the teacher

Now I probably did that wrong because I'm bad at math, but wtf whyyyy. Why do I need to know this to talk to crazy people about their problems? What kind of math is required for software design?
    Kyle
    Kyle
    Mighty Lord of Moderation

Male Posts : 4511

Post by Kyle Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm

i'm still in my phd program. it's a load of hard work and i really don't want to discuss the details.

Rahvin wrote:So like f(x):6x^3+12y^2-3z = GRAPH THIS SHIT

graphing in four dimensions???

Tateos wrote:As for my girlfriend and I, we've been talking about trying to do long distance because she's going to a college that's really far away and we don't want to break up.

i gotta be real here dude. i'm sorry about your situation but that's a terrible idea. i've rarely if ever seen a long distance relationship work. and believe me, people have tried. if you guys really love each other i'm sure you two can hook back up eventually but there are no upsides to a long distance relationship and you're really much better off breaking up.
    LevelAktveIsRahvin
    LevelAktveIsRahvin
    Operator

Post by LevelAktveIsRahvin Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 pm

i gotta be real here dude. i'm sorry about your situation but that's a terrible idea. i've rarely if ever seen a long distance relationship work. and believe me, people have tried. if you guys really love each other i'm sure you two can hook back up eventually but there are no upsides to a long distance relationship and you're really much better off breaking up.
    Dark Matter
    Dark Matter
    Gentleman

Male Posts : 507

Post by Dark Matter Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Tateos wrote: it's plausible that there could be big changes in the lives of our adults (Rahv, Hectic, Nair, AJ) as well.

adults (Rahv, Hectic, Nair, AJ)

Nair

God, i'm actually old enough to be considered that now. Welp.

Rahvin wrote:What kind of math is required for software design?

More than you can imagine. Especially depending on what you do.
    The whole F(x) = Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx + d
    I wish it was that easy at times :C

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am